What do I wear?
Updated: May 17, 2021
| What to wear |
So you’ve booked in for a family photography session? Congratulations on taking the leap and making the decision to document these precious family memories forever. Right now you are likely excited about planning for your photo shoot. One of the most enjoyable, but also daunting, parts of preparing for your session is planning what you’ll all wear. This is the time to really express who you are! I get asked about what to wear to a shoot 100% of the time and while I don't style my families, I do help them along the way if they ask. Here are some basic tips in preparing your outfits.
1. Most importantly be yourself!! Lifestyle photography is meant to be authentic. If you don't usually wear dressy clothing, don't. If your daughter hates dresses, don't put her in a dress. If your son can't stand wearing button down shirts, don't put him in one. If you are a sporty family, dress sporty. You can find clothing that fits your style that is clean, nice, and comfortable. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't dress your best, but it does mean that you can dress your best in your own style.
2. Coordinate, don't match. There are rare occasions where everyone in the same colour works, however generally you want diversity in colours and patterns. Picking a colour tone and coordinating from there can look far more effective than if for example everyone is wearing jeans and white polos. When thinking about colours, choose colours that compliment each other.
3. Kids will be kids which means kids will be messy! It's a good idea to arrive to your shoot in a spare outfit and dress your children at the last minute to avoid grubby food marks and creases.
4. Stay away from graphics and florescent colours. Please, don't let your kids wear those athletic shirts that are bright neon orange or yellow. What that means is that your kids face will be bright neon orange or yellow. Graphics tend to go out of style so I suggest staying away from them.
5. Make sure the clothing you choose fits. I get it. Kids grow fast and you want to get the most out of each clothing item. But this isn't the time. It doesn't look good when kiddos clothing is baggy or rolled up to fit.
6. Mum, this is your time to shine! I love when mums are in dresses (if they like dresses) or an outfit they feel great in! So Mum my advice is… go out and buy your outfit or choose your outfit first. Wear something you feel amazing in and build/coordinate the families outfits around yours.
7. Dad's, (and mums) please empty your pockets of your phone, wallet and keys before your session. A beautiful photo can be ruined entirely by the outline of an Iphone or keys in a back pocket.
8. Don't forget shoes and accessories are important too. A great outfit with ratty shoes won't look as good. Think about how the shoes will match as well as necklaces and headbands etc. These items can add a pop of color too!
9. Make a Pinterest board or inspiration board with outfit ideas. It will help you get a feel for colours and patterns you love as well as trends you like. Feel free to send this to me if you want a second opinion? Also remember to send it to your extended family if it’s a larger family shoot so that everyone is on the same page.
10. Ask me, your photographer for help! Don't be shy. I’m more than happy to help you along the way and throw ideas back and forth if you get stuck!
| Love Natalie |